I am that girl who wakes up in the morning and as I’m making coffee, I’ll sneak a little piece of dark chocolate, then continue going about my morning business. Chocolate is life. So I figured, why not find a way to fit chocolate into a recipe that is macro-friendly, high protein and so darn satisfying, hence these High-Protein Chocolate Breakfast Muffins came to life!
Chocolate for Breakfast?! High-Protein Chocolate Breakfast Muffins That Is!
I am almost always a sweet breakfast gal, so these are right up my alley! And I hope you love this chocolatey, easy breakfast too 🙂 If you are more of a savory breakfast person, these make the perfect little pre-workout or afternoon snack. They are packed with good protein and carbs for sustained energy, and pair them with a little nut butter for some fats to perfectly round out the snack or meal!
Better yet, make it homemade nut butter 😉 Simply throw your favorite kind of lightly salted nuts into the food processor and grind them into creamy goodness… seriously life changing. If you have a food processor, no excuses!
Only 5 Ingredients… Yes Plz
Ok, back to this recipe for High-Protein Chocolate Breakfast Muffins 🙂 You will quickly notice as you continue scrolling that there are only 5 ingredients in this recipe … FIVE! How awesome is that?! The fewer the ingredients, the fewer the excuses we can make for not prepping these for a busy week ahead. They are absolutely perfect for a grab-and-go breakfast, so add them to your next meal prep!
Here are some key ingredients you’ll need for the recipe:
- Birch Bender’s Protein Pancake Mix – Most of what makes this recipe so darn simple, is the fact that I used this mix. Click here to order this mix that I have been using and loving for years!
- Chocolate Whey Protein – There are tons of chocolate whey proteins on the market and it can be hard to hunt down the best option. One of my absolute favorites is this Muscle Feast Chocolate Whey Isolate that is sweetened with stevia and flavored with cocoa powder rather than natural flavors – such a huge win and hard to find. Check it out here!
- Cocoa Powder – When I look for cocoa powder I want the richest, fudge-iest flavor! This Rodelle Organic Gourmet Cocoa Powder is exactly that. Click here for this goodness.
One note about these muffins, they are really high protein… 80 calories and 6 grams of protein per muffin! Yeah, for realz. Given that fact, the texture is slightly different than your average muffin. It’s a great texture and they are so chocolatey and so healthy. Just be aware that this won’t taste like the muffins you used to get at Perkins when you were a kid. They also don’t have a million calories like those muffins either haha.
For all y'all who love that chocolate taste in the morning, but want something that will keep you satiated until lunch, enjoy this quick, healthy breakfast!
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (I used 2% milkfat)
- 1/4 cup chocolate whey protein
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups Birch Benders protein pancake mix
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Put all the ingredients in the blender and blend until thoroughly combined.
Pour into a parchment-cup lined muffin tin, filling about 3/4 full with muffin batter.
Bake for 15-20 min.
The most important step: ENJOY!
80 cals ~ >1g fat ~ 14g carb ~ 6g protein
You know the deal… if you make these muffins and share them on the ‘gram make sure to tag @fitfeedbyreed 🙂
Looking for another chocolatey, high-protein breakfast recipe? Check out this Chocolate Cherry Protein Shake!