How many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches do you think you ate as a child? And now as an adult? Many less, I am guessing. Let’s bring some of that PB&J joy back into your life with these PB&J Energy Balls!
PB&J Energy Balls Taste Like Childhood
This recipe was actually a spontaneous concoction that stemmed from simply using the ingredients I had in my cupboards and seeing what I could craft. Wow do these taste exactly like childhood! I immediately enjoyed a couple energy balls upon completing this recipe and am guessing you’ll do the same when you finish a batch. The chewy texture, the perfectly reminiscent taste of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the healthy ingredients… all things that led my tummy and taste buds to give a giant thumbs up, upon enjoying these.
Ingredients You’ll Need For This Recipe
- Peanut butter – have you ever tried a recipe that wasn’t made better by peanut butter?! Make sure to choose one that does not have added oil or sugar – just peanuts and salt in the ingredients. Check out the organic peanut butter that I used!
- Medjool dates – I like to think that dates are nature’s candy. These dates are a stellar option for this PB&J energy ball recipe.
- Rodelle vanilla extract – quality vanilla extract is a GAME CHANGER in recipes! This Rodelle vanilla is the perfect move to up-level your baking.
- Honey – my most frequently used sweetener when baking.
- Cinnamon – everything is made better with quality cinnamon.
- Rolled oats – the “bread” in your PB&J 😉
- Dried sweetened cranberries – I almost typed “craisins” when writing this recipe and then realized these are like Kleenex – that’s the brand, not the product. Silly me.
This recipe does require a food processor to get that incredible chewy texture that comes from the combination of dates, nut butter and and some tasty add-ins! Food processors are not a cheap investment, but they last for years and many, many batches of energy balls. This is the Cuisinart food processor I own and absolutely adore it! Remember that one time you bought a cheap blender to make smoothies and the motor burned out when you tried to put frozen fruit in it? Same. Not-so-cheap kitchen appliances are 100% worth it!
Bringing your childhood into a clean and delicious energy ball that is perfect for a quick snack!
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp Rodelle vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
In a food processor blend the peanut butter, medjool dates, vanilla extract, honey and cinnamon until thoroughly combined.
Add the rolled oats and dried sweetened cranberries. Blend again until thoroughly combined, but there are still bits of oats and cranberries visible.
Roll into golf-ball sized balls.
Store in the refrigerator.
PER ENERGY BALL
133 cals ~ 5g fat ~ 19g carb ~ 3g protein
If You’re Really in a PB&J Kind of Mood
Continue down the yellow brick road of PB&J delight with this recipe for PB&J Banana Bread. Yet another way to enjoy a childhood favorite!