Dog tested. Friend approved.
I had a girlfriend over for dinner last night and her reaction to this meal was, “This totally satisfies my craving for spaghetti. It’s so good!” Meanwhile, Maiya got a nice big scoop of the meat sauce and sat at our feet, gobbling it up out of her little “woof” bowl. So I’m not the only one who thought it was delicious 😉
And it’s not just delicious, it’s also super nutritious. Shake things up from your classic spaghetti and meatballs recipe. Ditch the processed carbs and low-quality meat in favor of zucchini noodles and a chunky, zesty, turkey meat sauce. The fresh herbs in the sauce really took it to the next level, so I would highly recommend that for making the most of this recipe remix.
If you caught last week’s recipe, you may notice that I am overly excited about what my little spiralizer can do. And yes, I know, I’m way late on this bandwagon. But I’m embracing that and I’ve fully jumped onboard with everyone else on the internet who was talking about zucchini noodles a whole year ago. They were right. It’s spectacular. Whip up the meal below and find out for yourself!
Recipe Remix: Spaghetti & Meatballs
*Makes 2 servings
- 4 medium sized zucchinis, spiralized
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes (salt added)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 Tbsp oregano
- Spiralize your zucchinis into noodles (I used a Vegetti).
- Sauté your spiralized zucchini noodles with olive oil, salt and pepper, over medium heat, until noodles are slightly cooked (about 5 minutes).
- While your zucchini noodles are sautéing, in a separate pan, begin to caramelize your diced onions and minced garlic, with olive oil.
- Add the ground turkey to the onions and garlic and sauté until cooked through.
- Add the herbs and can of diced tomatoes to the cooked meat and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve the meat sauce atop warm zucchini noodles!